Monday, October 26, 2009

Music Poster


The next part of our sound portion of class was to design a music poster. I went in the complete opposite direction with my band, and went from a grunge, alternative rock band to a folk, acoustic guitar player names Megan Slankard. I originally saw her on television and have followed her music since. I know A couple of songs and always hunt for her CD when I am out.

Anyway, Her first album is a picture of her hidden behind a field of sunflowers, so I wanted to incorporate that into the poster. I found a picture of a sunflower and dragged it into photo shop. I used the magic eraser and erased all the edges so the sunflower looked like it was by itself, yet the petals had a bit of a zig-zag edge to them, in hopes to make it look like the sunflower exploded on the page. I found an image of Megan Slankard sitting on a chair. I originally wanted the image of her behind the flowers, but her face was extremely hidden so i thought this would be a better image. Again, I used the eraser tool and got rid of her bottom half, and the chair, plus all of the background color. I used a filter on the image to make it not so plain, and then put it on top of the sunflower. I was extremely proud that I was able to make the background a whole flower and make it pop without taking away from the rest of the poster, and use the tools and techniques I had learned in photo shop

In Quark, it was tricky to use the layering tool because it was different from photo shop. I wasn't sure where there was a new layer or not. I added text and then when I tried to change it, it would only create a new palette or style that I would have to click on to use. I found a puffy text that fit the style and mellowness of the artist and used that for the performance information. To make it not so static, I tilted the words to draw the eye up and into a Z. For the title, I found another simple font that added to the style of the artist and stuck with the shades of color I had been using elsewhere in the poster. I put the artist's name and in concert below here sort of near the bottom middle of the page, so as to be a little more creative and title the image of the artist present. I loved how all the text looked when it was completed. I am proud that I am able to make a poster that is not centered and stationary and actually create something I think looks nice and shows that I took time to work on it. It is really easy to make a poster with general information, but to make it eye catching was a lot of fun for me.

I also added on the bottom information where to go if you wanted more information, since It is always good to add that in case people have questions or want to know more about the event. I can see myself learning more and more about Mac's and design programs, and technology and I have never really gotten along before, but I and thoroughly enjoying all that I am learning and producing in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment