Sunday, September 13, 2009

Contact Sheet


The first project for Electronic Communications was a contact sheet. This was a sheet made up of six different rows that showed examples of basic computer skills such as photo shop, pixels, zooms, and fonts. With each row I tried to find a unique picture, complete the assignment, and make it as unique and interesting as possible while learning new techniques.

The first row contains a picture that is 4 different dpi (dots per images). these went from 72, 300, 600, and 1200. The second row took a picture and dealt with color, from an image in the screen, an image if it was printed out, two tone and black and white photo. The third row dealt with a photo making it either landscape, square and portrait. The Fourth row dealt mostly with the zoom feature, and the fifth row had us zooming again, but not in the same style as the fourth row. the fourth row we focused mostly on different spots of a picture, but the fifth row was zoomed to the point of nonrecognition. The sixth row (in my opinion the most interesting) had us take a picture, go into photo shop and use different filters to make the photo of our choosing anything we want (I chose a picture from my time abroad in London and made it glow, cut out and grained).

In regards to this project, I wanted to create a contact sheet the was interesting to look at and was unique in the pictures chosen. That didn't work out so week with the first row since the butterfly I used has appeared in many other student's contact sheets before, but trying to find a photo that was originally 1200 dpi was like trying to find a needle in a hay stack, so I gave in and just used that one to get the message across.

I encountered problems because this is the first time that I have ever used photo shop or any of the other programs we used for this assignment. I do not own a mac nor have I ever used a mac for this purpose before so i was a bit worried in that regard, but luckily the instructions were really well delivered so after jotting down what i had to do and actually using the applications, it got easier as it went on. Row four, thus far has been the most problematic only because of a malfunctions image zoom, but I got there in the end


This project was a lot of fun because of the design aspect. Being a theater student and a fan of artsy things (math and science, thought necessary and interesting, really just isn't my thing), it was fun to find pictures that were different and make them different shapes, images, artistic representations etc. One of the reasons why I loved row 6 so much. also, I was glad I was able to learn these new programs. I have heard of photo shop many times in the past and how useful it can be, but again, being mac-less, have never used it or touched it, so being able to spend two weeks in class using this program was pretty awesome.

I am most proud of the fact that I was able to complete the assignment. I really wanted to learn something instead of sitting at a computer screen with the circuits malfunctioning in my head due to the complexity of the program. Being able to actually complete the project was probably a huge accomplishment for me and I was super proud. Another fun fact, technology and I sometimes have our differences. If I could got back and get more time for this project and change something, it would have to be that darn butterfly. I would have loved to find a different picture.


Hope You Like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment